Presbyterian Women’s Spring Gathering
Saturday, April 17th, will be our annual PW Spring Gathering: What My Grandmothers Taught Me. This year will be a virtual event, from 10-11:00 a.m. We will have guest speakers Susan Jackson-Dowd, PW National Executive Director, as well as Rev. Lynn Hargrove, New Covenant Presbytery General Presbyter and Stated Clerk for Administrative Process. We will also have breakout groups and a gift card drawing.
For additional information and to register online, visit www.pbyofnewcovenant.org.
Presbyterian Women's Team
2020-2021 Annual Report
Mission: To nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study; support the mission of the church worldwide; work for justice and peace; and build an inclusive caring community of women that strengthens the Presbyterian Church and witnesses to the promise of God's kingdom.
Team officers: Pam Walker (moderator), Dana Corbit (Co-Moderator), Sally DeStefano (Past Moderator), Marty Taylor (Secretary), Linda Harshbarger (Treasurer), Marty Taylor (Honorary Life membership), Judy Hughes/Karen Clark (Membership Chair), Marty Taylor (Funeral/Memorial Coordinator)
- Lydia Circle - Glenna Lang and Robbie Ganek
- Martha Circle - Karen Clark and Judy Weinburger
- Rebecca Circle - Barb Barton and Carolyn Shack
- Ruth Circle - Marty Taylor and Ann Johnson
The Presbyterian Women's Team is comprised of the Officers and Circle Leaders. Team meetings are held monthly except December, June and July. Circles meet September - May, three in the morning and one in the evening to accommodate working women. The 2020-2021 Presbyterian Team year is from June - May.
Honorary Life Membership was not awarded in 2020; therefore, we will award two recipients in 2021.
- Circles hold monthly meetings for devotion and Bible study September-May. However, due to Covid beginning in March 2020, the meetings were held via Zoom.
- Gatherings are held in the Fall and Spring and are open to women of the church and their guests. We had agreed to serve as the Host Church for the PW Presbytery Spring Gathering and all preparations were in order, but it was cancelled due to Covid. The Fall Gathering normally held in November was also cancelled.
- Baptismal boxes for infants and children baptized in the church are provided, led by Martha Haines.
- Monthly birthday celebrations are held at the Conroe Health Center, with each circle providing assistance by serving and singing. Brandon Folts, Music Director, generously provides his time with song and keyboard to make this a memorable time for residents. These were cancelled due to Covid.
- 100 plus Seamen’s Boxes were packed and delivered to the Houston International Seafarer’s Center in November 2020. Items for the boxes were provided by the circle groups and others in the congregation, led by Susan Buckley. The Mission Sewing group provides knitted caps for these boxes.
- Benevolence Giving includes the Spring Gathering Birthday Offering ($661 in 2020), which goes to Presbytery and benefits women and children mission projects. The Fall Gathering Thank Offering ($655 in 2020) is distributed 1/3 to Presbytery and 2/3 to an annually selected local charity. Family Promise, which is led by Jean Ball, was selected this year and received $435. Our church is one of the host congregations, which provides overnight lodging, meals and hospitality for up to five families at a time, for one week at a time, on a rotational basis.
- Ongoing support helping victims of sex trafficking is provided through Freedom Place, located in Montgomery County. Sally DeStefano leads this effort, which includes teaching life skills to rescued girls and coordinating delivery of donations from various individuals from our church. She submitted and we received the Lynn Johnson Social Justice Grant from New Covenant Presbytery in the amount of $2,000 for Freedom Place.
- Fellowship of the Least Coin is collected each month during Circle meetings and sent to Presbytery to support education for women through grants.
- Our women participate in many aspects of church life including Family Promise, Salvation Army, Soup Kitchen, Meals on Wheels, Wednesday Night Live, Mission Sewing, Vacation Bible School, and other Christian outreach activities.
- Circles have adopted various areas of the church for regular special TLC deep cleaning. They also wash the sanctuary shawls monthly.
- Funeral/Memorial receptions at the church are offered and provided if desired to families, both members and non-members. Circles provide cookies and punch for receptions.
- Women new to the church are personally contacted and welcomed.